Monday, October 26, 2015

Health care career fair hosted at Washburn University


Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2015, Career Services at Washburn University hosted its annual health care career fair for students interested in employment in health care. This fair was open to all majors. The event was held from noon to 2:30 p.m. in Washburn A and B rooms in the Memorial Union.

I attended the fair because I already work for St. Francis Health, and previously at Stormont-Vail Health care, the two largest health care systems in Topeka, so I wanted to see what other companies besides those two would be present. To my surprise, there were many home health, self-owned medical groups, as well as other skilled-nursing facilities present at this fair.  All students who attended dressed professionally and came prepared as they talked to future employers.

The recruiters were all nice, friendly, and very helpful. Students were able to ask specific questions about their majors, current and future employment opportunities, internships, as well as non-career related topics such as care and missions of their organizations.

Washburn will host another health career fair spring 2016 for all majors interested in health care. For more information, contact career services on campus, and keep a look out for upcoming posters around campus. 

11 comments:

  1. I think Career Services should be capitalized because it is the name of an office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this story was very informative. The first sentence of the second paragraph is very long. I would try and break it up into two sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kara, but great and interesting article. I saw what Cathryne had pointed out, and I am not sure if it should be capitalized or not. I would look into that more, if this were to be printed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go into more detail about the different types of businesses that were there and elaborate more on that. Otherwise, I thought this was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would change the lead to not starting with the date. In the third paragraph get rid of the oxford comma since it's not AP. Otherwise great article!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Break up your first paragraph and keep story objective; don't use "I". Otherwise, this was a good, relevant article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you can abbreviate Washburn University to WU, it's also make sence and more readable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems short, I agree with Heathers comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Story is a little short. Good topic, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good headline, but remember "host" is technically a noun, not a verb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the first sentence in the second paragraph needs to be two sentences. I like that you talked about what employers were at the event because I think it will get more people to attend. Finally, I suggest adding a link at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete