Thursday, September 24, 2015

Rainn Wilson speaks for WU Lecture Series

At 7 p.m. Sept. 24, Rainn Wilson, also known for his famous character as Dwight Shrute from the hit TV series, "The Office," spoke for Washburn's Lecture Series in the White Concert Hall. The event was open to students as well as any public. There was a suggested donation of $5 or 5 cans for Can Emporia. Wilson spoke about his childhood and the struggles of his life as an aspiring actor.

 His main focus during his speech was on his company, SoulPancake. SoulPancake is a media brand; for example, it produces the YouTube famous, "Kid President" videos. Its purpose is to encourage and inspire. Wilson wanted a brand representing hope which is something people do not always see now.

Wilson discussed how he grew up in Seattle, practicing and learning the religion of Bahai. Wilson's parents would invite random people over to their house to talk about Christ and religion. Wilson was inspired by his high school theatre teacher and moved to New York to act in college. He changed his lifestyle to bohemian  and left his Bahai religion behind him.

As he got older and felt empty inside, he went on a spiritual journey where he read and learned many different religions. Eventually he ended back up at the Bahai religion and is practicing it to this day.

After Wilson's talk, he had a Q&A with a few students who were mainly asking about advice or  religion. A book signing followed, and Wilson would only sign copies of his books.

17 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you really need "... and Wilson would only sign copies of his books." When most people go to a book signing, people want whoever wrote the book to sign it.

    This was a very interesting article. I wish I would have known about this so I would have been able to attend. It would have been a very interesting lecture. Listening to other people's experiences and journey's helps college students find out what they could be interested in and gives a different point of view other than their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was a very prominent event promoted by Washburn and was a good one to write about for your article! The only changes I would make is after Sept. 24, 2015 I believe there should be a comma and would maybe take out 'the' before White Concert Hall. This was a well-written article and flowed well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the phrase about signing only his book could be omitted. I understand what you were trying to say, but I think it is normal for an author to only sign the book that they are trying to sell.
    I enjoyed reading your article, and was sooooo mad I couldn't attend this. My bank had a mandatory meeting that night :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good article. There are a few phrases that read a little awkward, such as "SoulPancake is a media brand; for example, it produces the YouTube famous, "Kid President" videos." Overall, well done! I wish I could have gone to the event myself, I'm a huge Dwight fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article! I wish I would of known he was on campus. I don't think you need the comma in this "The Office," But otherwise good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Wilson would only sign copies of his books." omit this.. Overall good post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As he got older and felt empty inside, he went on a spiritual journey where he read and learned many different religions. This sentence seems kind of random, why did he feel empty inside?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good article. Agree with Justin, take that line out. Wish I would've gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article! I agree with the omitting "Wilson would only sign copies of his books." Great job otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would rewrite the lede. It's slightly chunky and could be reworded in a few areas. I think the headline is beneficial because it's clean and explanatory. Double check how to spell his character's name from "The Office." Work on transitions as well - you leap from one topic to the next without warning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool topic. I love Rainn Wilson! The only thing is I don't think stating "Wilson would only sign copies of his books." was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool topic. I love Rainn Wilson! The only thing is I don't think stating "Wilson would only sign copies of his books." was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice story. Interesting to know he was coming to Washburn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love Rainn Wilson although I felt like they should have told people what topics he would be covering at the lecture. I think many people thought he'd be taking a humorous approach to it. I also think that you did a great job writing this post. Other than the small mistakes it flows great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love Rainn Wilson although I felt like they should have told people what topics he would be covering at the lecture. I think many people thought he'd be taking a humorous approach to it. I also think that you did a great job writing this post. Other than the small mistakes it flows great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your headline is easy to understand and I agree with Mindy,a few phrases that read a little awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice story! But more explanation behind what exactly the Bahai religion is would be better.

    ReplyDelete