Thursday, September 3, 2015

Perspectives on Aging

In our society it seems that the perspective of aging is one-dimensional. We view the inevitable aging process as a slow decline into despair and a loss of independence, yet our perspective only captures a small piece of the truth. Washburn University’s Mulvane Art Museum is presently running an exhibit that offers us the unique opportunity to see the other side of the aging process. In their exhibit Perspectives on Aging, artists Elizabeth Layton and Ed Navone show us that old age, like many other stages of life, offers moments of joy, sadness, desire and pain. 

Layton’s art features self-portraits that capture the wrinkles and sagging skin that come with aging, as well as portraits that show the splendor of long-term companionship with her husband. Her portraits focus on the silly, sweet and sometimes petrifying moments that come with the golden years.

Artwork by: Elizabeth Layton
Navone’s artwork, however, tackles a much darker and terrifying side of aging as he chronicles his father’s struggle with Alzheimer’s disease. Navone captures the challenges his father faced during his battle with dementia in heartbreaking and beautiful sketches.

Artwork by: Ed Navone
While it may appear the artwork in Perspectives on Aging contradict each other, they offer a thought-provoking perspective on a complicated process. The exhibit is on display until Oct. 24. More information can be found on the Mulvane Art Museum's Website.

15 comments:

  1. I find this article very interesting. Grammatically it was very well written. The only thing I see is that the headline could use some editing. The work "Aging" does not need to be capitalized according to the AP stylebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a different headline and a few other punctuation issues that I saw. Other than that, it was very detailed and full of information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written Mindy! The only thing I saw was, "In their exhibit Perspectives on Aging it shows us that old age, like many other stages of life, offers moments of joy, sadness, desire and pain" I think using the would fit better than their.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was well written and articulate. I really like that you added a link to their web page! I like how thorough you were and that you included pictures and descriptions. I believe that saying "currently" instead of "presently" would sound better in the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good article. I like the fact that there are pictures to show what you are talking about. It gives the audience more clarity about what you are trying to say. I would use a different title. I know it is what the exhibit is called, but I think a different title would really make the article stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! It was very clear and consistent with AP style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job Mindy! I enjoyed reading your article. I didn't find any grammar errors and I think your headline is good short to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, Mindy! That is a very well-written and grammatically correct article. I think that the only change I would make is where the hyperlink is, I would lowercase the word web. I think it's great that you added photos and a link to their web page!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good story! I would use one sentence for the lede and separate the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post! I wasn't able to find any error in your writing. I thought it was great that you not only added photos but you also explained the author of the works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a great post! I wasn't able to find any error in your writing. I thought it was great that you not only added photos but you also explained the author of the works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked this post. It was hard to find anything wrong with it. I like the addition of the art. I would make your headline more of an attention grabber.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked the use of art and the link to their website. Definitely kept me intrigued while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked the use of art and the link to their website. Definitely kept me intrigued while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do really enjoy your article, the images make the story more interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete