Sunday, August 23, 2015

Olivia Marshall: Better late than never?

Greetings fellow classmates:

I am Olivia Marshall, a senior majoring in mass media, emphasis in public relations  and minoring in poverty studies. I've spent the past three years at Washburn and anticipate on having an exciting final semester before I graduate this December. A few of my favorite pastimes include biking, roller derby and dance music.

I've always loved biking, but this summer I have taken this hobby to the next level. On July 5th, I rode the Lizard Under the Skillet in Lawrence; it's a sizzling 66-mile ride. My new biking buddies inspired me to train and sign up for my first bike race on August 16th. I managed to finish it! It was a 15 mile criterion race that took about half an hour. That was a big milestone for me. My next goal is to complete a century ride (100 miles).

Last month, I traveled to Las Vegas for a week at RollerCon, a convention with roller derby players from around the world. I learned new skills, played in outrageously fun-themed bouts and scrimmages, and took random classes like breakdancing, Buti yoga, Tai Chi on skates, and figure skating. The experience inspired me to play my best, be a better skater and take care of my body. Last night, my team the Capital City Crushers, won its final bout of the season against the Lakewood, Colorado Derby Dames.

I hope to work in advertising/marketing/public relations. I hear being an excellent writer is imperative to be successful in this field. I took AP Literature and Composition in high school and have always been a decent writer, but I don't think I've practiced nearly enough. That's why I've decided to start writing for the Washburn Review. I hope to learn all that I can in this class so I can put my best foot forward when I snag that entry-level job and enter the working world!


No comments:

Post a Comment